Thursday 23 August 2012

Another week down...lets talk stages

Positives since last post:

  • All parts of first months challenge built and undercoated (due to Genestealers being later due to over budget batleforce)
  • Progress made on painting Termagants
  • Found basing materials that I want to use
  • Everyone else is in the same position
  • A friend has re-started in the hobby and their group now have a blog http://hammertime40k.wordpress.com
Challenges since last post

  • There are now A LOT of bugs to paint to even get 2 units done
  • Painting is taking longer to do than expected
  • No games played....boo hiss


So I think the big step in the right direction is that I have started to get some of the little bugs done and I thought I would post a quick "How I did it" guide to the bugs, partly hopefully to give people ideas but also to remind me how I painted them when i come back to the army at a later date!

Started with Undercoating the models Chaos Black
Step 1
First time using the new paint range in part so was getting used to the new colours both names and properties. I would say after very little experience that the paints seem to be thinner, thereby needing less watering down and getting very good coverage. Think this will help with doing more thin layers to make for stronger colours and better painted models
First colour up is XV-88 over all the areas of the Termagant that are soft and fleshy. This includes the weapon. I haven't been too precise over application as i wanted them done quickly. Also if I do get round to spray gunning them later I want to know I can work with the colours 'going over the lines.'


Step 2
Paint a layer of Tau Light Oche over the base colour leaving any recesses,  such as inside ribcage or holes at tail end, the darker base


Step 3
Use Agrax Earthshade over all the flesh areas. This was painted on liberally and moved around with the brush so detail could still be seen and reduce any large amounts of pooling away from the recesses.


Step 4
I reapplied Tau Light Oche over the raised areas taking more care to leave the recesses untouched and get a smooth application.


Step 5
I haven't done this bit yet but I know it will be to use either Ungor flesh or a 50/50 mix of Ungor Flesh and Tau Light Oche and apply it to raised ares of flesh such as prominant muscles, tail tip and skull detail, thus providing some layering to the model

So there you go, A how to guide for the flesh part of my Hive Fleet, which I realise is yet to have a name. Aim for next update is to test out Ungor Flesh and give the bugs a name.

2 comments:

  1. Basing materials found... Still thinking of the desert look? Also Nids are looking very good. Maybe next set of images have a table light on as i think your phone takes dark images. Or is the dark photos to hide all the mold lines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I am shocked at how good you are at painting these days Graham (no more dipping!), I have to agree with Chegwin, sort out the camera - looks like you took those shots at the bottom of a riverbank - The Mighty Leman Russ demands it!

    ReplyDelete